Mazel Tov Brighton-Tradition through Movement
Photography Intern Proposal
Mazel tov Brighton – Tradition through movement celebrates Judaism through active aging, finding physical as well as mental ways to address early onset dementia. We will do this through dance activities and physical workshops, whilst exploring Brighton’s Jewish history, with residents of Jewish Care home – Hyman Fine House (HFH).
Photographer for the Mazel tov Brighton project.
Strike a Light – Arts & Heritage is seeking a fixed-term freelance photography intern to commence work on 20th December, terminating on 30th June 2018:
- To photograph key events and sessions for the Mazel tov Brighton project
- Liaise with Strike a Light regarding events and sessions for the project
- To work with Jewish care residents and staff to create an exhibition of 15 portraits to celebrate aging and Jewish Identity in Brighton & Hove
- To ensure all photos taken are given to Strike a Light on a regular basis through file sharing software such as Dropbox.
Sessions to take place at the Jewish Care Home, Hyman Fine House, 20 Burlington Street, Brighton and other selected venues as follows:
Music & dance sessions – These take place on Wednesdays 3-4pm:
- 13th Dec – Duende Flamenco
- 17th Jan 2018 – Duende Flamenco
- 14th Feb 2018 – Emma Welsh (Purim or Pesach session)
- 14th March 2018 – Karavan Ensemble – a workshop on the themes of memories, migration, origins and life stories.
- 11th April 2018 – Karavan Ensemble – movement and Judaism
- 16th May 2018 – Emma Welsh (Shavuot session)
Events – 3 x performances for residents at Hyman Fine House:
- Hannukah event – Wednesday 20th December 3-5pm
- Purim event – 14th March 2018. Performance with Karavan Ensemble – Performance of Pupik -fugue in 2 followed by a participatory discussion
- One further performance TBC in late spring 2018
2 x outings to Brighton Museum and Middle Street Synagogue (Friday mornings)
- Middle Street Synagogue visit (Date TBC in spring 2018)
- Brighton Museum (Date TBC in spring 2018)
- Work with photographer to explore this rich cultural tradition through dance, creating a series of 15 portraits of participants celebrating Jewish heritage and or in physical movement.
Fees & Payment
In return for the performance of this Contract, Strike a Light – Arts & Heritage will pay a one off intern fee of £350. There is also £100 available for expenses.