We are running a new set of workshops this autumn. Come along and try them out!
A life history book is a homemade booklet compiled to capture memories and stories about a person’s life, whether to mark a significant birthday, a change in circumstances, the onset of Dementia or as a beautiful and creative gift for a loved one.
Brighton based organisation Strike a Light – Arts & Heritage will deliver a series of four workshops to learn how to create a life history booklet for a family member’s life.
Workshop dates are: Thursdays 7th, 14th, 21st & 28th September 10am-1pm. These take place at the Strike a Light studio in Brighton.
Studio 8 (mezzanine)
Brighton’s Open Market,
Making a life history book can be an enjoyable and empowering activity for a person with dementia which may enable greater interaction and open up communication between someone with dementia and their carers, family and friends.
A life history book may be something that visitors can look through with a person, or it can be referred to by professionals to learn more about the person they are providing care for, for addressing grief, for group work and for training volunteers.
* A distraction technique for refocusing during difficult symptoms
* A security tool when person is taken to unfamiliar places such as the hospital or care home
* Promotes well-being, validation and celebration of a person
* A bridge to the past
* Provides opportunities for pride and enhanced self-esteem
* Re-builds family relationships
The workshops will include:
* Using old photographs, photocopies, maps, collage, text, printable resources and more, we will work together over the course of four sessions to create a beautiful, bespoke booklet which will celebrate the life of your loved one, helping them to remember happy times, key events.
* Memory triggers to encourage remembering of family and friends
* Reminiscence tips and techniques to support life history work
A life story book can enrich relationships and promote understanding and respect as memories fade.
The course can only accomodate 8 participants to create a supportive atmosphere so please book early to avoid disappointment.
The cost is £100 (£80 concession) for the four week course which is three hours per week. The course will include the work book, resources, planning, materials and refreshments, as well as interim support and suggestions if needed.